News:

New registrations to the forum only by request to admin@underservice.org

Main Menu

Romero Experiments

Started by Romero, June 27, 2011, 11:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e2matrix

Romero,  In the circuit above I see in the pic a 16 pin chip (I assume is the TL494) and also an 8 pin chip.  Which pins are used in the schematic above for the TL494 and what is the 8 pin chip as I don't see an 8 pin chip in the schematic.   I think I have everything to try this circuit except the TL494 which I can get.   Is that Litz wire wound on the toroid ?   I've got a lot of that too.
After a closer look at the pictures it appears there are several more components than showing in the schematic : 2 pots, transformer, other caps.   Is there an updated schematic or do the pictures of the circuit show a different build?     

Vincent,  Nice work!   When stuff starts blowing out around TPU builds that's a good sign ;)   Auto shutdown is nice but I'd suggest a manual shutdown switch too.  Good luck with it.  I always wanted to try Otto's build ....   

Vincent

Hi e2matrix. Noted. I will addition a better manual  - panic button - TPU's are a good source of knowledge, but they are complicated too. I don't like when a system became complicated. Must be simple, stable and secure. I just was curious about that technology and I will keep the research as soon as I can. Wife + kids needs time and love too.

Following the good Romero's idea on his last post, I started to prepare the hardware for this new test. Materials involved :

- A classic ferrite core ERL-35-2005 from an old ATX power supply. Was a little pity to put it out, but I found a better way to do it. Heating it for 5 minutes over my kitchen burner ( no more than 250? F ) and all was good. This core have an AL ( nH / N2 ) = 3000. Fair enough for the purpose. I will  wind very accurately L1/L2/L3 and the LC tank. It this ferrite core doesn't work  I will try another one type. 

- One of my best oscillators. ICL 8038 + TC427 + IRFP460A. If all its good, I will test it also with digital pwm.

Au revoir les amis.

e2matrix

Hi Vincent,  good to hear from you.   I am not sure if I'm lost here or what but your circuit appears like Romero's (with extra components) - the 8 pin IC chip and pots and so on that I didn't see in the schematic Romero just posted recently along with pictures and O-scope waveforms.   What circuit was your build made from?   (maybe I need to go back a few more pages ?) 

Romero

Quote from: e2matrix on February 06, 2014, 08:52:17 PM
Romero,  In the circuit above I see in the pic a 16 pin chip (I assume is the TL494) and also an 8 pin chip.  Which pins are used in the schematic above for the TL494 and what is the 8 pin chip as I don't see an 8 pin chip in the schematic.   I think I have everything to try this circuit except the TL494 which I can get.   Is that Litz wire wound on the toroid ?   I've got a lot of that too.
After a closer look at the pictures it appears there are several more components than showing in the schematic : 2 pots, transformer, other caps.   Is there an updated schematic or do the pictures of the circuit show a different build?     

Vincent,  Nice work!   When stuff starts blowing out around TPU builds that's a good sign ;)   Auto shutdown is nice but I'd suggest a manual shutdown switch too.  Good luck with it.  I always wanted to try Otto's build ....   
TL494 is shown as a block diagram, check here for mre details on that part https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=kheUNEI5TygKMM&tbnid=q--wLZIMu7QzeM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhackerfriendly.com%2Ftag%2Ftl494%2F&ei=wxP1UsXvMaHO0wWh_4DQDg&bvm=bv.60799247,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNEAYhr9u3Z1X4toajLixYoZVzLQLQ&ust=1391879485950652
the 8 pin chip is IR2101, mosfet driver.
The schamatic is not detailed as these components are common and easy to find schematics, I have detailed only the important part.
Primary is wound with litz wire, secondary is normal wire, 0.7mm.

Below is another picture taken today while experimenting other ideeas.

aaron5120

Hi Romero,
Thanks for posting the update waveforms of your experiments. Please tell us what exactly was being done in order to obtain the ringings of the Ampli1 picture in channel 1?
Have you modified any connection of the original setup of that circuit, or did you use coil shorting circuitry to short at the wave peak?
Thanks!

aaron5120

Romero

Quote from: aaron5120 on February 08, 2014, 02:58:03 AM
Hi Romero,
Thanks for posting the update waveforms of your experiments. Please tell us what exactly was being done in order to obtain the ringings of the Ampli1 picture in channel 1?
Have you modified any connection of the original setup of that circuit, or did you use coil shorting circuitry to short at the wave peak?
Thanks!

aaron5120
Hi,

for the last waveform I used a different type of coil, only testing.
There is an idea that I am testing for a while, almost two months now, i'll tell you in few words.
I have one capacitor 47000uf/25v capacitor that I charge to 12 volts then disconnect from the source.
We know that the total energy in the capacitor is 3.384 Joules.
Using different methods I am charging another capacitor calculating the energy acumulated in the second one and comparing with initial energy in the first one.
I have done it hundreds of time, trying different types of coils and capacitors.
Not all capacitors are good for this type of experiment.

Romero

Romero

Just another schematic under test.

aaron5120

Hi Romero,
Many thanks for replying, your suggestions are well received, and the joule calculating method is simple and accurate for comparing input and output energy of the circuit under trial. I guess the type of capacitors suitable for these tests should be low ESR ones.
The new schematic you just posted is interesting, but I should concentrate in the previous one which you post days ago, before I go on experimenting with a new circuit.
The picture below, at a glance, the ringing in channel 1 shows apparently more energy by channel 2's impulse, integrating the area under the curve.
That coil and setting should be studied more thoroughly by myself, because I think this is what we want: more output energy than energy sending into the circuit.
Thanks my friend for your suggestions, and let me get back to the lab.......Keep up your good work, Gentleman.

aaron5120

Vincent

Quote from: Romero on January 30, 2014, 04:48:52 PM
In my attached pictures you can find information that can help you build your own generator with minimal expense.

Last question about this Coil. I checked  my ferrite and winded a few turns to test inductance and I choose this setup :

L1 / L2 = 32 turns
L3 = 16 turns

LC tank calculations are ok, but I doubt about turns. Do I need more ?  Winding is my weakness...

Romero

Quote from: Vincent on February 10, 2014, 10:27:14 PM
In my attached pictures you can find information that can help you build your own generator with minimal expense.

Last question about this Coil. I checked  my ferrite and winded a few turns to test inductance and I choose this setup :

L1 / L2 = 32 turns
L3 = 16 turns

LC tank calculations are ok, but I doubt about turns. Do I need more ?  Winding is my weakness...
it all depends of diameter of your core, but for a prof of concept that will do. I will instruct you more privately when you get there...

Romero

Vincent

Quote from: Romero on February 10, 2014, 10:32:33 PM
Quote from: Vincent on February 10, 2014, 10:27:14 PM

L1 / L2 = 32 turns
L3 = 16 turns

it all depends of diameter of your core, but for a prof of concept that will do. I will instruct you more privately when you get there...

Romero

Thank you.

Romero

My CNC Router Kit arrived, now it's time to put it together.

Romero

CNC Router assembly progressing... after 7 hours.

Vincent

Romero

CNC project almost finished and first test.