News:

New registrations to the forum only by request to admin@underservice.org

Main Menu

kEhYo Experiments

Started by kEhYo77, October 20, 2011, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kEhYo77

Welcome to this thread all of You, experimenters and enthusiasts.

I will try to show my work here as it goes.

I have finished my new build finally so the testing should start soon.

Here is a video

This is a video of my motor generator device. Magnets are in N-S-N-S configuration. There is 24 of them on the rotor. Below I have mounted a DIY magnetic bearing. 20 ferrite cores around the rotor make 5 phases with 4 coils each. Magnetic drag is reduced by distributing attraction forces between 3 phases
The little LCD displays frequency in Hz seen by a single core. Multiply it x5 to get the RPM.

M.E

Hi KehYo,

it looks well organised. how is the fastest speed can be reached ?
I've also got one outrunner, similar side with yours but I''ve got problem of connecting to the rotor and can not be run fast.

Thanks and Regards,

M.E

kEhYo77

So far I have managed to reach about 4500 RMP at about half the throttle set by a potentiometer. I must be cautious and not try to destroy it. It gives 900Hz seen from a generator coil.

Romero

@kEhYo77
looks that the magnets are very close to the edge of the disc. That piece of plastic in front of them can brake very easy at high speed. I would add some extra plastic sheet band around the diameter. In my case i cut from a water plastic bottle and glued 2 sheets.
Don't ignore it, I have holes in my walls because of then. I could have had those holes in my head or any part of my body.
This is why I spend so much time with this new generator to make it very stable, with the big magnets I have now that is a great danger.
Vibration is a killer and I have hard time trying to remove it completely.

Best regards,
Romero

kEhYo77

@ Romero. There is a thin wall in front of magnets (about 1,5 mm), they are somehow embedded within the disc of my rotor. If that begins to crack I'll think about it more seriously. For now it seems to be enough. The coil holders are made from Lexan and they should withstand a magnet failure. Besides ther is not enough room for extra strengthening on the primeter, the gap is only about 1 mm.

Cheers

M.E

Quote from: kEhYo77 on October 21, 2011, 11:19:52 AM
So far I have managed to reach about 4500 RMP at about half the throttle set by a potentiometer. I must be cautious and not try to destroy it. It gives 900Hz seen from a generator coil.

Hi KehYo,

4500RPM is not bad. I need to re look at my rotor connection again. currently I'm  testing two things :
First, is to fine tuning the less drag coil with adam rotor style but not discover the effect yet. my rotor is too big, 250mm diameter, about 10kg with 8x  2'x1x0.5' N42 Neo. I only can speed up two 200Hz, scare to go further.
And my second test is to rotate the magnet in toriodal transformer to see the lenz effect.

At 900Hz do you see any lezless effect ?

M.E

kEhYo77

With those particular relay coils in parallel I could see the effect at around 950 Hz on my previous incarnation of this build. But with every coil it's different. As parameters change so does the threshold needed to observe it.  If I connect those coils in series the effect should manifest at low speed. I haven't tested that yet though.

kEhYo77

I just did 2 test runs. At first I couldn't replicate the speed up from my previous setup at 950Hz. I started thinking what changes did I make. And it became clear. The core length in front of the coil has shortened! I readjusted my coils a little to the back and Bingo! The effect came back, starting from around 800 Hz. So the Lenz delay has got much to do with that sticking out piece of the core for the most part, I think.

DeepCut

keyho i've said it before but i have to say it again, what a beautiful build :)
Experience is a hard teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterward.

kEhYo77

@DeepCut I work as a graphic designer so now you know the reason  8)  thanks! ...and by the way, I ain't no 'ho'... It's Keh-Yo!  :D  (I rap a bit, you can hear me on my YT channel)

Unfortunately this thing makes a lot of noise because of the way the cores are mounted.
Those ferrite 'sing' at high pitch but soon I will be changing them for a bit bigger laminated 'I' cores so the singing noise should go away.
I made this decision after analyzing my speedup effect to be a false success :/
I had 8 relay coils in parallel but they were of slightly different parameters so there was some imbalance between them at open circuit that caused a breaking of the rotor. Shorting it beyond 950Hz apparently eliminated that... Oh well, we learn all our life an we die stupid anyways  ;D
Now I want to try elongated core coils as in this Patent 524 426 to incorporate some additional Lenz delay to a right L/R ratio...

kEhYo77

I've decided to go www.gap-power.com style with my setup!
More to come...

Wings

Quote from: kEhYo77 on May 18, 2012, 04:44:11 PM
More to come...

take a look to this patent

Apparatus and method for amplifying a magnetic beam - Lockheed Martin Corporation
http://www.google.com/patents/US5929732

Romero

Quote from: kEhYo77 on May 18, 2012, 04:44:11 PM
More to come...
very strong magnets are neded to overcome friction and other loses.Dimenstions of the coil is important in relation with the magnets used.I have got 100kg magnets pull force now.I am going to install them this weekend.

Romero

kEhYo77

And here is a short video of the interaction between the repelling fields of the outer ring of magnets,
all of which have the same polarity facing  the rotor which in turn has got NSNSNS config of magnets...

kEhYo77

And here is another setup... I just finished wiring this baby, some testing when I get some sleep ;)