News:

New registrations to the forum only by request to admin@underservice.org

Main Menu

Deepcut's Experiments.

Started by DeepCut, September 26, 2011, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeepCut

Here are two spreadsheets, the first is the results for an Adams-style rotor, the second is the results for a single diametrically magnetised cylinder-magnet.

My Adams-style rotor has magnets arranged N/S, the cylinder magnet is naturally N/S.

Each test involved these steps for each voltage :

1. Spin the rotor up to it's maximum speed.
2. Record the frequency, input current
3. Short-circuit the generator coil.
4. Record the frequency and input current again.
5. Stop the rotor, switch the PSU off and on again, increase the voltage by 0.5 volts and start the new test.

So we get a map of behaviour of the device at various frequencies/RPM's.

The Adams-style rotor, a VHS motor with magnets mounted horizontally around the outside, exhibited some unusual behaviour that the single magnet/no rotor device didn't.

The only difference i can see between a multi-magnet rotor and a single magnet/no rotor device is that, with a single magnet, the time between pole-changes is tiny, whereas with multiple magnets on a rotor we do have a larger time in between pole changes.

The cases of strange behaviour were :

1. After removing the short circuit, the rotor would stabilise at a higher RPM than that which it started at before the SC was applied. This happened at many stages.

2. After removing the short circuit, the rotor didn't slow down at all ! This one surprised me and only happened at one voltage stage but it is repeatable.

3. After applying the SC, the RPM went up in two stages, it went up suddenly and with sharp current-draw decreases. This only happened once.

Both devices had their greatest RPM-up/current-draw down at 16/16.5 volts for the diametric magnet/Adams-style rotor respectively.

I will post videos of both when my girlfriend has stopped watching crappy soaps on TV and won't moan about the noise !

Results of Adams-type rotor :

http://www.mediafire.com/?p4mw890t8unwc75

Results of diametric rotor :

http://www.mediafire.com/?v0hlb9ellahmu50

Cheers,

Gary.

Experience is a hard teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson afterward.

DeepCut

OK, today was interesting :)

I wound a new coil and ran the same voltage-range test, on the rotor-device, the results were fairly similar, here they are :

http://www.mediafire.com/?yx6rttz533a6x7n

But the most interesting part is this, i'm too sleepy to put the diametric magnet through it's paces with the new coil but i thought i'd do a quick, real-world, load test.

I attached a miniature bulb i got from Maplins, i can't remember it's rating.

The bulb lit quite brightly, the frequency/RPM rose and the current draw went down.

Now i'm off to bed :)

DeepCut

I've upped a video of acceleration-under-load rather than just short-circuit.

The rotor speed rises by only a few Hz, and the milliamps only go down by a few but the effect is there and will be amplified with higher impedance coils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSOI6Yep_U

Romero

Quote from: DeepCut on September 29, 2011, 05:00:49 PM
I've upped a video of acceleration-under-load rather than just short-circuit.

The rotor speed rises by only a few Hz, and the milliamps only go down by a few but the effect is there and will be amplified with higher impedance coils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSOI6Yep_U
I does not matter so much if the speed is not rising much.If you can maintain it while you have a load on it then is great.
Now that you can get the effect use 2 or more coils and see what you can get from them.
I am trying to get my RG1 stable and not speeding too much under load. I have not had too much sleep last night and I am very tired.Tonight must go to bed early.

Romero

DeepCut

Yes don't lose out on sleep, very important !

DeepCut

My laminations arrived today.

The performance was not as good as my loose anchor bolts !

Results in spreadsheet here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?zh6s7dwt21wx53h

If you don't have excel installed then get the viewer here :

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10

Best to all,

DC.

DeepCut

Test results, 500g of 0.25mm, bifilar-wound, series-connected, laminated-core coil.

This coil/core combination overspeeds the rotor when shorted.

Rotor with no coil/core present.

Hz : 450
mA : 443

Rotor with coil/core present, open-circuit.

Hz : 450
mA : 438

Rotor with coil/core persent, short-circuit.

Hz : 455
mA 433

Video here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvYaT-k7yk

Thanks for reading,

DC.

DeepCut

Today i tested the device with mutiple (3) coils.

In these tests the coils are not connected together, they are short-circuited individually.

All coils are bifilar-wound and individually serially-connected, here are their properties :

L : 20 Henries +, more than my meter can read.
R : 406

L : 20 +
R : 402

L : 13.2
R : 390

Coils 1 and 2 were placed opposite each other, North and South of the rotor magnet, so-to-speak, and the third coil was placed in between them, at the East position.

Results of multi-coil tests :

No coils present.

hz : 502

ma : 452

1 coil present open circuit.

hz : 417
ma : 472

1 coil present short circuit.

hz : 505
ma : 445

2 coils present, both open circuit.

hz : 393
ma : 475

2 coils present, both short circuited.

hz : 514
ma : 438

3 coils present, open circuit.

hz : 388
ma : 474

3 coils present, all short-circuited.

hz : 511
ma : 440

I think i understand why two coils outperformed three with my setup.

Because it is a single-magnet rotor, the two coils on opposite sides of the magnet are synchronised in the sense that they both experience the flux change at the same time, whereas the third coil, which is in the middle of the other two, experiences flux-change after the first coil and before the second of the other two coils, so the timing is wrong and possibly fights against the effect from the other two.

I confirmed this by moving the third coil closer to one of the others and performance goes up.

Also, coil three's inductance is 13 Henries vs 20+ Henries and that may contribute to the lack of additional performance benefits.

Obviously the single-magnet design has it's limitations, the physical space required for many coils isn't available and the timing problem, if i'm right about that.

Thane's idea is that, with multiple short-circuited coils, any loaded generator coils that are introduced to the system will have a minimum detrimental effect.

I did a small test with a high current coil in place with two acceleration coils and it accelerated the rotor under load, helping the effect while powering a small light bulb.

I'll be making a multi-magnet rotor now but in the meantime i'll experiment with getting power out of this device, time to order some more high-current wire ;+}

All the best,

DC.

Romero

@DeepCut

Excellent, you are on the right track.

Romero

DeepCut

The new test-bed for a multi-magnet setup is now ready :

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...1/DSC01475.jpg

24 neos 10x10mm, N42, 0.52 Tesla going North/South around the rotor.

Same drive coil/circuitry before, a-la-Bedini SSG with the charging component removed.

Wil post results,

DC.

Romero

@DeepCut
Your link... not working.

Romero

DeepCut

DeepCut

I have a question for anyone that knows, when a magnet crosses a coil, there is a change in voltage-polarity and current-direction, this is how we get AC, but, does it matter whether it's a N or S pole ? I know we get more power from N/S arrangements because the change in field is bigger, but does a S pole cause a different volta/current cahnge than a N pole or are they both the same ?

Cheers,

Gary.

Hitman

Quote from: DeepCut on November 14, 2011, 01:52:57 PM
I have a question for anyone that knows, when a magnet crosses a coil, there is a change in voltage-polarity and current-direction, this is how we get AC, but, does it matter whether it's a N or S pole ? I know we get more power from N/S arrangements because the change in field is bigger, but does a S pole cause a different volta/current cahnge than a N pole or are they both the same ?

Cheers,

Gary.

I don't know the answer but John Bedini seems to use the N all the time.

Romero

some people are thinking that N is stronger but I believe both are the same, I have never experienced any difference

Romero